Cozy up to fall with craft beer, ciders and tons of great events
It’s officially fall. The air is alive with the promise of autumn awesomeness. The football season is still fresh and flush with possibility. And craft breweries around the county and region are pouring, bottling, and canning their seasonal offerings. Plus, they are spicing up the fun with tons of events, live music and even bingo. It’s the perfect time to grab some friends and visit a craft brewery to taste their seasonal offerings and enjoy some fall fun while you’re at it.
There are a multitude of local craft breweries that offer live music during the week or weekends. It’s the perfect indoor setting to sip local flavors and hear some local talent.
• At Bearwaters Brewing in Canton on Friday, Nov. 8 the Darren Nicholson Band will perform at Bearwaters Brewing Co. from 7-10 p.m. They are located at 101 Park St.
• Frog Level Brewing — Head to Frog Level Brewing in Waynesville at 55 Commerce St. on Friday, Nov. 8 to hear Chris Wilhelm and friends. Frog Level specializes in Distinct English style beers brewed with distinct attitude. They offer free live music every Friday from 7-9 p.m.
• Boojum Brewing Company — Boojum Brewing and the downstairs bar underneath called The Gem offer regular live music on the weekends. Its next show will be held on Saturday, Nov. 16 and will feature Nick Dittmeier and the Sawdusters at 9 p.m. There is a $5 cover charge. Boojum is located at 50 N. Main St. in Waynesville.
• Elevated Mountain Distilling Company is not a brewery but it does craft its own highest quality, ultra premium spirits. The distillery is located in Maggie Valley and features live music every weekend. Starting this Friday, Nov. 8, come hear Stone Crazy Band from 7-10 p.m. The next day, Nov. 9, Shaun Abbott will be performing from 7-10. Food trucks are also provided. Come visit the distillery at 3732 Soco Road in Maggie Valley.
• Wicked Weed Brewing in downtown Asheville will offer live Swing music on Thursdays Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 at The Funkatorium featuring Hot Club of Asheville. The music lasts from 6-9 p.m. Likewise, the Funkatorium hosts Sunday bluegrass with Gary Macfiddle on Sunday, Nov. 10 and Nov. 17 at 1 p.m.
• Innovation Brewing in Sylva offers live jazz music ever Thursday evening at 8 p.m. We have a great group of musicians that come together and deliver authentic jazz performances.
• Highland Brewing in Asheville offers live music every Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m. Coming up next weekend is Brother Smith who performs on Friday, Nov. 8 and Laura Bleckley and the Wildflowers who perform on Nov. 9. Highland Brewing is located at 12 Old Charlotte Highway.
• Twin Leaf Brewery at 144 Coxe Ave. in downtown Asheville is hosting the band Tail Light Rebellion on Saturday, Nov. 9 from 9-11 p.m. The band is an amalgamation of roots music genres, incorporating styles from Irish, Slavic, Canadian, and American folk music.
• Pisgah Brewing Company in Black Mountain hosts live music every weekend. Coming up on Thursday, Nov. 7 come hear the Lazybirds at 7 p.m. On Friday, Nov. 8 at 8 p.m. Liz Teague and Friends will perform and on Saturday Nov. 9, come hear C2 and the Brothers Reed at 8 p.m. Pisgah Brewing is located at 150 Eastside Drive in Black Mountain.
Fundraisers, raising awareness, just for fun – local breweries are hosting all sorts of themed and important events that provide the perfect excuse to grab a craft beer.
• Catawba Brewing on the South Slope is hosting a fundraiser event on Sunday, Nov. 10. Come enjoy Cousins Maine Lobster and Catawba Brewing beers and support Big Brothers Big Sisters of WNC. During the event, $1 of every White Zombie & Lobster entree sold will go directly to Big Brothers, Big Sisters of WNC. Please come out to 32 Banks Ave. in Asheville and support this amazing organization.
• New Belgium Brewing in Asheville is hosting a Lawn Party on Saturday, Nov. 9 featuring Land Tawney, CEO of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers; T. Edward Nickens, renowned writer from Field & Stream; Luke Weingarten, Chairman of the NC BHA chapter, and just about every other conservation-minded hunter and angler in western North Carolina. Come out to New Belgium Brewing at 21 Craven St. at 4 p.m. and kick back with a brew and good friends until 6 p.m. The party then moves inside for a ticketed event in the New Belgium Brewhouse led by Land, presenting a series of films created and produced by public land owners across North America.
• Asheville Pizza and Brewing is offering a rare film screening of the classic film Shawshank Redemption on Thursday, Nov. 14. The movie will be shown at 7 p.m. at the brewery located at 675 Merrimon Ave. in Asheville. Tickets cost $3. They will sell out fast.
• Asheville’s Hillman Beer, located at 25 Sweeten Creek Road in Asheville, is hosting a Power in Pints fundraiser to support Outward Bound School Veterans Division. With every beer sold on Monday, Nov. 11, $1 will be donated to help support the veterans in their programs. They will also have NCOBS staff in attendance to share more about the veterans program.
FOOD & BOOZE
• Hi-Wire Brewing at 2A Huntsman Place in Asheville is offering Burger Night and Football on Monday, Nov. 11 at 7:15 p.m. Burger night features a delicious Foothills Local Meats double-cheeseburger, fries, and pint for $10. Hi-Wire hosts Burger and Football Night every Monday Night Football game during the season.
• Archetype Brewing will host a Bottle Release event for its Cleopatra Complex Barrel-Aged Peach Saison at both taproom locations on Saturday, Nov. 9 from noon to 10 p.m. Light, slightly tart (not sour) finish, makes for a delicate and complex profile reminiscent of an aged white wine.
• Every Wednesday night, Bhramari Brewing Company, located at 101 S. Lexington Ave. in Asheville, hosts a Hump Day Burger & Beer Bargain at 11 a.m. Come have lunch and enjoy a burger and a flagship draft beer for $10.
• Sierra Nevada Brewing in Mills River is hosting a Mangalista Beer Dinner on Wednesday, Nov. 13 at 6 p.m. Each of the five courses will be featuring this amazing product sourced from Smoky Mountain Mangalista farm in Haywood County. This is the Kobe beef of pork! This is an amazing opportunity to speak with our talented brewers and chefs while sampling specialty beers and a unique menu created just for this dinner. Tickets cost $75 and you must be 21 or older.
• Wicked Weed West in Asheville is hosting a Barrel Sale and Chili Cook-Off on Saturday, Nov. 16 from noon to 4 p.m. The event will be held at 145 Jacob Holm Way in Candler. Come sample some of our community’s best homemade chili and scope out our barrel sale including Bourbon, Rum, Gin, French Oak. Brewers will be on site to answer questions + load barrels.
• Sierra Nevada Brewing in Mills River is about to release its Christmas Jam Session Ale and they are throwing a party to celebrate on Wednesday Nov. 6. There will be Live music by The Dip and Erin and the Wildfire. Come out at 7 p.m. and Tickets cost $12/$15.
• Blue Ghost Brewing Company in Fletcher offers trivia nights and on Thursday, Nov. 7, it will be offering Harry Potter trivia at 6:30 p.m. Questions will come from the books and the movies. The rules are the same as always: No more than 6 players per team. No cheating. No cellphones. No yelling out answers. Come up with a funny team name because we always give a bonus point to the team with the funniest name.
• Catawba Brewing Company in Biltmore Village offers trivia every Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. Complete with fantastic beer and awesome prizes. Catawba in Biltmore Village is located at 63 Brook St. Suite 1 in Asheville.
• Craft Centric Taproom and Bottle Shop offers a variety of bingo and trivia nights, with special themes each week. Coming up on Thursday, Nov. 7 is Taylor Swift Music Bingo, starting at 7:30 p.m. Following that, on Tuesday, Nov. 12, the taproom will be hosting a Mary Kate and Ashley Movies Trivia night at 7:30 p.m. Come see them at 100 Julian Shoals Drive in Arden.
• Every Monday evening Innovation Brewing in Sylva brings everyone into the taproom for trivia. Hosted by Kirk & Victoria, they start rolling out questions around 7 p.m.! Space is tight, so make sure you get here early for a seat. There are prizes for 1st and 2nd place.
• Archetype Brewing hosts free Trivia night every Tuesday at 7 p.m. Come on down for a weekly night of free pub quiz fun. Their professional trivia master will be quizzing you on everything: history, science, art, pop culture, and everything else.