The Blue Ridge Roller Derby will host an eight-week course starting Jan. 8.
Derby School participants will receive one-on-one coaching, as well as small group coaching from the 2016 International WFTDA Division 2 Champions.
“We were all there at one time, learning to skate can be intimidating, but going back to the rink every week with a supportive group of newbies can be a life-changing experience,” Derby school training member and Blue Ridge Roller Derby All Star Taylor Chappell aka Tractor Taylor told the derby school’s website. “In roller derby, these people become your teammates and support network.”
Training will be at Smoky Mountain Sk8way, 19025 Great Smoky Mountains Expressway in Waynesville. For questions, email email@example.com.
- Access to safety gear & rental skates
- A syllabus & rulebook
- Access to the Derby School Facebook group
- Strength, self confidence and a supportive community
For the first class on Jan. 8, participants will need to bring the following:
- A mouthguard that has already been molded to their mouth
- It is strongly encouraged that participants bring their own helmet. The roller derby has a few spare helmets but cannot guarantee that they will fit your head. Be aware that if you don’t have a correct fitting helmet you cannot skate.
- Cash or check payment if you have not paid online