The advantage of this recipe is that you can prepare most of it ahead of time, allowing you to enjoy a barbecue or potluck with the family. The final preparations, including cooking the shrimp, only take a few minutes.
(For 24 servings)
• A bag of “scoop” type tortilla chips
• A few iceberg lettuce leaves
• A small red onion
• ½ cup Mexican salsa
• 24 shrimp (about ½ pound of size “40-50” shrimp)
• 2 tbsp hot sauce (Tabasco, sriracha or Frank’s RedHot)
• 1 clove garlic
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
• Salt and pepper
1. Set aside 24 tortilla chips.
2. Finely chop lettuce (which must be completely dry in order not to wet the chips), onion and garlic.
3. In bowl, combine hot sauce, garlic, 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Marinate shrimp in mixture. Refrigerate.
4. Place small pieces of lettuce and onion in bottom of each tortilla chip. Cover with cloth and leave on counter.
5. To serve, spoon some salsa into each tortilla chip.
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet. When oil is hot, cook shrimp for about one minute on each side.
7. Place a shrimp in each tortilla chip and serve immediately.