The Cradle of Forestry celebrates National Get Outdoors Day on Saturday, June 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 11250 Pisgah Highway in Pisgah Forest.
Begun in 2008 by the USDA Forest Service, this event supports Americans in seeking out healthy, active outdoor lifestyles. The day includes skills teaching and demonstrations by western North Carolina’s outdoor recreation community.
Admission to Cradle of Forestry is free on this national event day.
On National Get Outdoors Day, organizations and NGOs partner to showcase how you can indulge in an adventure within your “naturehood.”
Across the nation sites offer a chance for you and your family to unplug and connect with the outdoors. The Cradle of Forestry will host multiple activities for you to discover the forest in our NC mountains.
Get Outdoors Day Activities:
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.— Guided Activities & Crafts:
- The Pisgah River Rangers will be leading a pond exploration, looking for insects and amphibians at our freshwater pond.
- Camping themed games and activities
- Agents of Discovery App — “Cradle of Forestry in America” and “Smokey Bear’s 75th Birthday” missions
- Cradle of Forestry Junior Forester Workbook
- Indoor/Outdoor Scavenger Hunts
- Hiking Trails